It’s Jumu’ah! The most blessed day of the week.
Below are some of the Aadaab of Jumu’ah we can follow to try and maximise the rewards inshallah.
- Start preparing for Jumu’ah from Thursday Maghrib time by performing the Sunan al-Fitrah (Muslim’s cleanliness obligations) from clipping the nails, removing hair from armpits and removing pubic hair [Ihya aul-Uloom]
- Perform Ghusl according to the Sunnah
The Prophet Muhammad () said: “Any man who performs Ghusl on Friday, perfumes himself if he has perfume, wears the best of his clothes, then goes to the Masjid and offers as many prayers as he wishes while not harming anybody, then listens quietly while the Imaam speaks until he offers the prayer, will have all his sins between that Friday and the next forgiven.” [Al-Bukhaari].
- Brush the teeth with Miswaak [Ibid]
On one Friday, the Prophet Muhammad () said: “O Muslims! Allah Ta’ala has made this day a day of Eid. So have a bath on this day, whoever has perfume should apply it, and use the Miswaak.” [Ibn Majah]
- Use Attar (Perfume) [Ibid]
- Wear nice and clean clothes [Abu Dawood]
- Pray Salaat al-Jumu’ah
“O you who believe (Muslims)! When the call is proclaimed for the Salah (prayer) on Friday (Jumu‘ah prayer), come to the remembrance of Allah [Jumu‘ah religious talk (Khutbah) and Salah (prayer)] and leave off business (and every other thing). That is better for you if you did but know!” [Surah Al-Jumu’ah 62:9]
- Go early to the Masjid for Jumu’ah. The earlier a person goes, the more reward he will receive.
The Prophet Muhammad () said: “On the day of Jumu’ah, the angels stand at the entrance of that Masjid in which Salaat al-Jumu’ah is to be offered. They write down the name of the person who enters the Masjid first, and thereafter the name of the person who follows, and they continue doing this. The person who entered first will receive the reward of sacrificing a camel in the path of Allah; the one who followed him will get the reward of sacrificing a cow, thereafter a chicken, thereafter the reward of giving an egg as charity in the path of Allah. Once the khutbah commences, the angels close the register and begin listening to the khutbah. ” [Bukhari and Muslim]
- Go to the Masjid on foot (if within walking distance). By walking to the Masjid a person gets the reward of fasting for one year for every step that he takes.
The Prophet Muhammad () said: “Whoever does Ghusl on Friday and causes (his wife) to do Ghusl, and sets out early, and comes close to the Imaam and listens and keeps quiet, for every step he takes he will have the reward of fasting and praying qiyaam for one year.” [Tirmidhi]
- Listen very attentively to the khutbah and not fiddle with clothes or fingers [Ibn Majah]
- Sit as close as possible to the Imaam. [Ibn Majah, Tirmidhi]
- Recite Surat al-Kahf (at least first and last ten verses if short on time)
“Whoever recites Surat al-Kahf on Friday, a light shall shine forth for him between the two Fridays.” [Ibn Hajar]
- Recite Durood abundantly
The Prophet Muhammad () said: “Recite Durood upon me in abundance on the day of Jumu’ah since they are presented to me.” [Ibn Majah]
- Make lots of Dua on Jumu’ah especially during Sa’at al Istijabah which is an hour before Maghrib on Friday during which all supplications are accepted.
The Prophet Muhammad () said: “There is such an hour on Friday that if any Muslim makes dua in it, his dua will definitely be accepted.” [Bukhari, Muslim]
May Allah keep us guided and on the straight path and give us the ability to act upon all of these deeds and Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (). Ameen.